Monday, August 17, 2009

Bollywood heartthrob, Shahrukh Khan grilled by US immigration for ...

King Khan, the Bollywood heartthrob and the person named among the 50 most influential people in the world by the Newsweek magazine, was detained at a U.S. airport upon arrival by immigration authorities for his Muslim name.

“I did not want to say anything just in case they took everything wrong because I am little worried about Americans because they do have this issue when your name is Muslim,” said Shahrukh.

Shahrukh Khan arrived at the Newark Airport in New Jersey while on his way to Chicago to attend Indian Independence Day celebrations. He was waiting for his baggage when immigration officials approached him.

Khan said, “I was waiting for my bags… I thought it was nice of them to take me to another room, but that was apparently a second check. I had my papers in order. I was really taken aback.” The actor, described as a global icon by the by the U.S. Ambassador in New Delhi, was allowed to go after the intervention of the Indian Embassy in the US.

In India, the government sharply reacted towards the incident. “We are trying to ascertain the facts of the case — to understand what took place,” said Ambika Soni, the Minister of Information and Broadcasting. “I am of the opinion that the way we are frisked - for example I too was frisked - we should also do the same to them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment